Text by Barnett Shepherd, Executive Director of PLSI
|Olmsted House. All photos courtesy Nick Matranga (c)|
The stone portion of this structure was built in the early 18th century by Jacques Poillon, the County Road Commissioner. The relieving arches visible on the facade suggest that it may originally have been a barn. The frame second floor, attic and kitchen wing were added ca. 1840. In 1847 the farm was purchased by Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903), America’s first landscape architect. He lived here until 1853. He grew fruit trees while experimenting with farm techniques and landscape design. The Cedars of Lebanon, ginkgo and walnut trees seen today in the front yard were planted by Olmsted. The house is a Designated NYC Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
|Piollon/Akerely/Olmsted/Beil House. photo NYPL.|